Radiation Therapy To The Abdomen
Please follow these simple instructions during the course of the therapy. Please show this to your referring or family doctor for their information and guidance
1. Drink plenty of fluids (2-2.5 liters) daily – water, coconut water, barley water, electrol powder solution.
2. Coffee and tea can be taken in moderation.
3. Bland, non-oily low residue but well balanced diet advised.
4. Avoid spicy food. Eat small, frequent meals.
5. A high protein or carbohydrate rich diet preferable.
6. Do not take any laxative without consulting doctor.
1. Preserve any marks on skin carefully. Tattoo marks may be made on some patients for positioning.
2. Do not apply hot water or ice packs.
3. Gently sponge with lukewarm water. Dab skin dry gently.
4. Please do not use any oils, lotions or cosmetics in the treatment area (only talcum powder may be used).
5. Avoid adhesive tapes in treatment area. Use transpore or micropore only for dressings.
6. The doctor will prescribe ointments or G.V paint for any skin reactions in the groin.
7. Wear loose, cotton clothings.
1. Diarrhea and cramps may occur after the second week of treatment.
2. Consult your doctor for specific medications for vomiting, diarrhea and/or abdominal cramps.
1. Drink over 2-2.5 liters of liquids per day.
2. Consult your doctor for specific medications for burning and frequency of urine.
1. Weigh yourself weekly.
2. Pamper yourself with plenty of rest.
3. Blood counts may be checked at intervals.
4. Most side effects will settle down within 10-12 days after completion.
5. Feel free to discuss any problem with our doctor.
Expected Side Effects
1. Loss of appetite, feeling of weakness and tiredness.
2. Nausea, vomiting and dehydration during the last 2-3 weeks.
3. Diarrhea and/or painful defecation after the 2nd week.
4. Burning and/or increased frequency of urine after 3rd week.
5. Skin changes of dryness, redness, peeling may occur after 2-3 weeks.
6. Radiation reactions may be aggravated when given along with Chemotherapy.
7. The side effects will be minimized if you follow the instructions carefully.